Web Designer, South Lakeland
I've been around for a while now and I have a lot of experience. I live near Ulverston in South Lakeland, at the southern edge of the Cumbrian Lake District. My clients come from near and afar, throughout the UK and Europe.
I built my first commercial website in 2001 after completing a course in Dreamweaver web design. My tutor recommended me for the job.
At the time I was mainly working, freelance but virtually full time, as a graphic designer for a holiday company in Lancaster where I designed all their brochures, publicity and advertising.
From there I went to work full time for Iomart Internet in Lancaster as a full time web designer.
In 2006 I relaunched my business with the focus on web design. I was also working part time for a local IT company managing a number of high end retail fashion websites.
I also started a course with the Open University in Web Applications & Development, which I completed in 2010.
Earlier Work Experience
This includes technical publishing, mainly working on the layout for language translations of technical manual. I also freelanced for a local college producing course materials and did the cover design, illustrations and typesetting for a number of published books.
Before this I worked at a major UK Arts Centre in the Marketing Department.
Qualifications, courses and training:
- Certificate in Web Applications & Development (Open University, 2010)
- Artistic Uses of Digital Imaging (Lancaster University - short course with commendation, 2004)
- Web Design using Dreamweaver (Dallam School, Milnthorpe, 2001)
- Introduction to Web Design (Dallam School, Milnthorpe, 2000)
- Editorial Skills Certificate (Chapterhourse Publishing, 1993)
- Foundation Art & Design (Lancaster & Morecambe college - part-time/incomplete, 1996)
- BA Hons 2:1 French & Modern Greek (Combined Honours, 1986)
Skills set and proficiencies:
- Joomla CMS
- Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe Dreamweaver
- Adobe Illustrator
- Microsoft Word
- Keyboard skills
- Logo design
- Proof reading
- Copy editing
- Foreign languages - French & Modern Greek
- On site search engine optimisation